I have been wanting to bring Faiyum to the table again for some time.
Finally I did a 2-player game with younger daughter Chen Rui. She absolutely
slaughtered me, even though it was her first play. She went into building and
using workshops, and I didn't. There seemed to be few workshops so I thought
it wasn't worthwhile to get into. I really enjoy how differently each game of
Faiyum can develop. It depends a lot of which are the cards purchased
by players, and how they collectively build on the map.
Chen Rui likes the crocodiles in the game and can't help but play with the
components. This above looks like some dark magic ritual, or maybe a
zoo.
She played crocodile stacking on the side
This is a more normal shot of the game
I have not started using the expansion yet. Even the base game offers much
variability.
I taught Shee Yun and Chen Rui Take Time. It is still very enjoyable,
and sometimes still pretty tough to beat. We played Levels 1 and 2, and then
skipped to try some missions in Level 5, and then Level 10.
At Level 5, every segment must have exactly two cards. That is certainly
restrictive and challenging. It is important to discuss a general strategy
before every game. Once you start playing, you can't discuss strategy or cards
anymore.
It is nice that the game comes with card sleeves, and very pretty ones. I
think these are promo items. I use them, but they don't seem to be very
sturdy. They are already showing signs of wear and tear. If this gets worse
and cards become marked, I will have to remove the sleeves and just switch to
regular transparent sleeves. Well, I probably shouldn't be complaining about a
free gift. The publisher spent money to give buyers something extra.
I played Attika with Chen Rui again. We used to play this game a lot. I
wondered why this 2003 title has not been reprinted, only to find out that it
has actually been reprinted in 2018 as U.S. Telegraph. I like the
original art much more.
This is Guru Guru Labyrinth from Japan. You are dungeon explorers. You
will go on three expeditions. Each trip you try to bring back treasures. You
can do that only when you are able to defeat all monsters along the way.
A round of play is set up like this. You create many stacks of just two cards.
Cards can be good or bad. There are treasures which are worth points. There
are monsters which will try to hurt you. There are also heroes who will fight
the monsters. On your turn, you examine a stack of cards, and decide whether
you want to take it. If the heroes in the stack are able to defeat all the
monsters in the stack, you will score points based on the treasures and
defeated monsters. If you can't overpower the monsters, you will leave empty
handed. So normally you'd only take a stack if it is worth points. If you
don't claim the stack, you don't place it back into the circle. Instead you
distribute the cards to the subsequent stacks, like playing
Mancala / Congkak, one card each. The cards must be distributed in
ascending order, and the last card being distributed is turned face-up. The
number of stacks in play will dwindle. The stacks combine to form larger
stacks. You want to find and claim a high valued stack before time runs out.
When there are too few stacks left, you will be forced to claim a stack.
Blue cards are heroes, red cards monsters, yellow cards treasures.
As a round progresses, you will get more and more information about the stacks
in the game. There is a reference sheet listing the cards and their numbers.
When cards are distributed, it must be done in ascending order. Based on the
last card which is revealed, you have some idea what the other cards that have
been distributed might be. There is a memory element in the game.
This is a stack that will give points. There are five swords, which is enough
to defeat that monster of five skulls. The monster is worth 10 points, and the
gold coins 2 points.
That large white marker is for marking where you have taken a stack from. If
you decide to decline, it reminds you from where you should start distributing
cards.
I found the game so so. I think it's because I don't like memory games. There
is some push-your-luck in this game. The longer you stay, the bigger the
stacks become. But will you be able to find a lucrative stack before time runs
out? Or will you end up stuck with no good stack?
Mythic Battles: Ragnarok is a 2-player tactical battle game. You have a
team of various Norse gods, mythical creatures and fighters. You win by
defeating the boss of the enemy team, or by having your boss grab and consume
four runes.
Playing on BGA is much less sexy than playing the physical copy. The physical
game has many pretty miniatures.
Characters in the game have different stats and special abilities. As a
character takes damage, their ability weakens. You slide that marker piece
downwards to indicate damage taken. Characters are activated through card
play. You need to have the right cards to activate a character. Some cards are
not character specific and can be used in many ways. You need to use them
wisely.
This is a minor fighter
There are many characters in the game, and you can form many different types
of teams. All characters are unique, and finding synergy between those you
recruit to your team is important. In the game I played, I decided to focus on
absorbing runes. I thought I did pretty well, but I was careless and my boss
(the god) got himself surrounded and killed. Oops.
I found out that that my blog on BGG is ranked #25 among all BGG blogs
worldwide, according to this blog post:
https://bgg.cc/blog/1412/blogpost/190594/bgg-blogs-circulation-2026. I have been blogging on boardgames since 2007, but always on Blogspot. I
created a blog on BGG many years ago, but I did not use it. My blog serial
number is 27. I started using my BGG blog only in Jan 2025. I post the same
content from my Blogspot blog there. I decided to do this because I wanted to
reach out to a wider audience. I think Blogspot is pretty obscure by now. I
should go where the readers are.
This blog ranking is calculated based on number of posts multiplied by number
of subscribers. I am pretty sure I am ranked high mostly because of my number
of posts. Indeed I have been writing a lot for the past year. Well, let's see
if this analysis post helps to bring some attention to my blog, and I get a
boost in readership. If you enjoy what I share on BGG and have not subscribed,
please support me by subscribing.
No comments:
Post a Comment