Friday 21 June 2024

boardgaming in photos: Snow White goes to Ipoh


8 May 2024. HELP University ran an open day welcoming secondary school students to their campus. It was a festival-like event, and vendors were invited to set up stalls. I was invited and I thought why not try going to a new type of event. It was a Wednesday, and I had time that day. The attendees were mostly secondary school students, so this was not specifically a boardgame or game audience. 


I met a lecturer that day who had designed her own card game to be used as a teaching tool. When she saw me selling card games too, she came over for a chat. Events are opportunities to meet people. That's another plus. 


I taught two of the students Dancing Queen. I was also able to showcase Snow White that day. When taking photos, I asked the students to do the Cili Padi Games hand sign with me. 


A player in Ipoh saw Snow White at Book Xcess, and took a photo to show me. That was so kind. Book Xcess stuck the price sticker on top of the title of the game, so you can't even see the name of the main character. You just see Ow Ite. 


I'm not sure whether he found another copy of the game where the sticker was at a different position, or he moved the sticker after buying the game for the sake of taking this photo above. Now the game title is visible, and so is Snow White herself. Unfortunately Prince Charming has to take one for the team. This actually reminds me of the Pixar movie Monster Inc, and Mike Wazowski. 

Mike behind the barcode. 


25 May 2024. I attended the TTGDMY playtesting session at Kajang. For the prior few months I had been busy with work and had not been making much progress with my game design projects. I had already missed quite a few playtest sessions, and I still didn't have any new or significantly updated prototype to playtest. So I went purely to help other fellow designers playtest their games. 


Poon Jon's first game is finally out. I played Furmation of Rome when it was in development. It feels great to have the final released version in my hands now. 

No comments: