Friday 23 June 2023

boardgaming in photos: Regicide, Dancing Queen, Santiago


I recently bought Regicide (2nd edition). This was one of my favourite games from last year. In this edition, the box is made of plastic, and the design is similar to that of my Dancing Queen. I like it! Great minds think alike! Regicide is a game you can play with just a regular deck of poker cards, so it is not absolutely necessary to buy a copy in order to play. However I greatly admire the game design, so when BoardGameCafe.net stocked them, I quickly ordered a copy. 


The art is fantastic. In this edition the artwork of the diamonds has been updated. They are now bards instead of wizards. My wife and I gave Regicide a go. Her first time, my third. We managed to get to the final boss. We were defeated because we didn't have enough cards. This was the furthest I have ever managed to get. Previously when I played with Allen and Han we didn't get this far. I need to work harder to finally beat this game. 


Dancing Queen found yet another overseas buyer, this time from Vietnam. He bought two card games from Malaysia, Dancing Queen and Politiko. Politiko is a game which pokes fun at Malaysian politics. 


My BNI business community organised a major event on 6 Jun 2023. On the day itself we needed to reach the venue by 5:30am, so a few of us stayed at a hotel nearby the night before. I brought some games, and we played in the evening. This felt like a school graduation trip. I taught Alex and Rocky Dancing Queen. We played a number of my prototypes too. 


My old friend Kooi Khew visited from Singapore, and brought along his three kids. We played Halli Galli, a game that works for all ages. His children are 14, 12 and 6, and it's not easy to find games which suit all these ages (plus the two of us ahem mature age boys). The youngest at 6 was certainly at a disadvantage. 


We later played Santiago. I hadn't played for a while and had forgotten many of the procedures. Teaching the game was a struggle as I stumbled through the rulebook and my own reference sheet. Thankfully the game itself wasn't too complex. Once we completed a round, the process became much clearer and everything ran smoothly from there on. 

My copy of Santiago is an older edition. This is out of print now. There is a newer edition, and I only realised it when I recorded my play on BoardGameGeek.com. I don't quite like the artwork of the new edition. I like the simpler artwork in the old edition. Nostalgia factor? 


Jing Shen is only six, so he was certainly at a disadvantage when playing against adults. But he was a good sport and enjoyed himself. Kooi Khew and I gave him tips and alerted him of risky moves. In the end our scores were close, within a range of about 10. 

No comments: